2014 Goals

Images from Shho, Darren Deans, and Kolobsek

Go back to school
I’d like to go back to school and finally get my Master’s degree. I’m not sure what to get it in yet, whether I’ll get my Master’s in English or in Library Science. It’s just been so long since I’ve been in school, it’s kind of a scary thought.

Save more money
Aside from building my savings, I also want to build my retirement fund. I want to start an IRA, probably a Roth, so I can start saving for retirement. Social Security will probably be nonexistant by the time I retire and I do not want to work for the rest of my life. At least, not more than I have to. So unless I win the lottery, this is a must. The sooner, the better.

Pay down debt faster
I have some credit cards that I still need to pay off, as well as my car. I have about 3 1/2 years left on the car. But I’m more worried about the credit cards. I don’t use them anymore, thank God, but I want them mostly paid off by the end of the year. The holidays always kill me.

Blog consistently
I’ve been doing this pretty well for the past couple of months and I want to keep that momentum going this year. Hopefully at least 2 quality posts per week. Wish me luck! ;)

I had a pitiful showing last year. I only managed to read 50 books. For me, that’s pretty ridiculous. The past couple of years the numbers of books I’ve been reading is decreasing, but I want that to change. So, I’m hoping to at least double last year’s goal in 2014 and make it 100 books, if not more. I’m hoping that participating in these reading challenges, as well as some books clubs on the message boards I’m a part of will help me with that. I feel unaccomplished if I don’t read more. Must be the English major in me.

Travel
I want to travel more! All I did last year was take a 5 day cruise. I used to travel a whole lot more years ago. I want to do more of that this year. I have a cruise planned for November, hopefully I’ll be able to go. But I also want to be able to do something else. I want to go on at least one other trip. I don’t want to regret not traveling when I’m too old to do it. I’m young, I should enjoy it!

What are your goals or resolutions for 2014?

6 Comments on 2014 Goals

1. Rochelle
    January 5, 2014 at 11:01 pm (4 months ago)

What makes you want to go back to school to get your masters? Do you not think that you’ll be able to get a well paying job without it, or are you just interested in going back to school?

I myself am trying to read more as well. I hadn’t realized how little I had been reading until a new friend asked me what the last book I read was. What types of books do you like to read? Maybe I could suggest a few that you’ve not read :)
    Rochelle recently posted..One heck of a ride.My Profile

• Valerie
      January 13, 2014 at 4:29 pm (3 months ago)

It’s more that I really do want to go back to school. While it’s intimidating, I also really enjoy it. It’s just that first step is always the hardest. Believe me, a degree in English is not about the money. lol

I like to read lot of different types of books. Sometimes I just have periods where I only read one style. It’s based on my mood I guess. But in general I like young adult, romance, fantasy, steampunk, some science fiction, historical fiction, and of course the classics.

2. Agent Q
    January 7, 2014 at 3:10 am (3 months ago)

Reading 50 books is pretty amazing. If 50 is ridiculously low by your standards, then I’d be too embarrassed to even disclose the number of books I read this year. It’s pitiful by comparison. xD In all fairness, I do want to be able to read more for sheer pleasure as opposed to reading for the sake of digging out information for a paper or something. I’ve been doing that a tad too much. Being in grad school makes matters worse for me. Then again, I’m studying Public Health. Can’t speak for English nor Library Science.

Good luck with your 2014 goals!
    Agent Q recently posted..At LastMy Profile

• Valerie
      January 13, 2014 at 4:31 pm (3 months ago)

I’m usually a huge reader, in fact one year I read about 150 books. So, for me 50 is really low. lol I’ve always been that way, but lately life is just getting in the way. Thanks for the luck!

3. Christine
    January 9, 2014 at 8:12 am (3 months ago)

As a fellow English scholar I say go for the MA in English. It’s a great addition to a teaching certification if you already have one, and I love that it allowed for me to expand my studies. The humanities are dying, so don’t go into it to get rich…go into it because you love language. :) And congrats on paying off your debts! It must feel amazing to have that progress under your belt.
    Christine recently posted..Winter Teaching Outfits that Rock!My Profile

• Valerie
      January 13, 2014 at 4:33 pm (3 months ago)

I do love English, but I always did want to be a librarian as well. It was either that or own a bookstore, but I don’t exactly have the money for the latter. And yes, the humanities are dying and it just really makes me sad that people don’t appreciate them anymore.

Thanks! I’ll be so glad to have the weight of that debt off of my back. :)